Basundi/Rabdi (Milk dessert). Basundi is a very tasty Indian dessert recipe prepared with milk, Usually in Maharashtra it is served with soft puri in marriage or other functions. Basundi is a delicious dessert made by reducing milk and sugar to a thick consistency. This is chilled, garnished with nuts and served.
It is therefore very rich, creamy, sweet and can be processed to have different textures as the chef decides. Basundi is also reduced high fat milk, boiled with sugar and some almond+cardamom flavouring. But is reduced only to about half. milk based desserts are a very popular recipe in india. but the milk basundi is hugely popular in gujarat, maharashtra and karnataka where it is served chilled with mixed nuts. moreover, it is also confused with the other popular milk-based dessert i.e rabdi or rabri recipe. but there is a slight. You can have Basundi/Rabdi (Milk dessert) using 8 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Basundi/Rabdi (Milk dessert)
- You need 1 litre of milk.
- You need 300 grams of sweetened condensed milk.
- It's 1/2 teaspoon of cardamom powder.
- You need 1/2 cup of cashews cut in to small pieces.
- It's 1/2 cup of almonds cut in to small pieces.
- You need 1/2 cup of pistachios cut in to small pieces.
- You need 4-5 of saffron strands, soaked in lukewarm milk for 10-15 minutes.
- You need to taste of sugar.
See more ideas about Desserts, Indian food recipes, Indian desserts. Angoori rasmalai or angoor rabdi is a dessert made with fresh Indian cottage cheese. Cottage cheese balls are dunked in flavored and thickened milk. Rabdi or Rabri Recipe - A classic North Indian dessert recipe made with traditional method.
Basundi/Rabdi (Milk dessert) step by step
- Add milk in a thick bottom pan, heat up and allow milk to boil in a low flame, stir the milk in between 3-4 minutes once.
- Then add sweetened condensed milk in to the milk and mix together, taste the milk if required more sweet either you can add 50 grams of condensed milk or sugar.
- Then milk starts to thicken, you will notice the milk solids in with creamy texture, keep on stirring the milk for 20-25 minutes.
- Then add cut cashews,almonds and pistachios (save some nuts for garnishing too) to the Basundi and let it boil for another 5 more minutes and simmer to a minute and turn off the flame and then add soaked saffron strands to it mix together.
- Basundi is ready to serve hot or chilled (as you like).
- If you like to serve chill then let the Basundi cools down completely, keep the Basundi in refrigerator for at least 30-45 minutes then serve chill.
This is made with very minimal ingredients but the taste is out The main ingredient is Milk (Whole milk or full fat milk) which is thickened slowly on low flame till it is very thick. The lovely natural creaminess, pinkish color adds to the beauty of basundi. Basundi is sweet thickened milk, flavored with cardamom and nutmeg, with the addition of dry fruits. This milk based delicious dessert is popular in the western part of India, specially in the states maharashtra and Gujarat. The consistency is not thick like that of Rabri, but more fluid and flowing.