Recipe: Delicious Flatbread/Pita BBQ Chicken Pizza
Flatbread/Pita BBQ Chicken Pizza. Place pita bread on a baking sheet lined with parchment and spread bbq sauce over it. Add the chicken to the pita and sprinkle with mozzarella and red onion, to taste. Flatout Flatbread will show you how to turn those blues around and rock your family's next dinner, with our crowd pleasing BBQ chicken pizza.
Prep the chicken and cut into cutlets. Salt and pepper each side and then add the dry rub on each side. I have a grill pan and love that I can grill outdoors with our grill on our porch or on a. You can cook Flatbread/Pita BBQ Chicken Pizza using 9 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Flatbread/Pita BBQ Chicken Pizza
- You need 1 pound of chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- It's of oil.
- It's 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder.
- It's 6 of pita or small, round Middle Eastern flatbreads.
- It's of BBQ Sauce.
- It's bag of shredded mozarella (You won't need all of it.).
- You need 1/2 of red onion, peeled and cut into very thin strips, vertically.
- You need of roughly 20 stems cilantro, chopped (I use stems and all.).
A topping of spicy barbeque sauce, diced chicken, cilantro, peppers, and onion all covered with cheese, and baked to bubbly goodness! Spread the crust with barbeque sauce. Top with chicken, cilantro, pepperoncini peppers, onion, and cheese. I first tried these BBQ Chicken Pitas with Jicama Apple Slaw during a visit to Fitness Ridge Resort in Southern Utah.
Flatbread/Pita BBQ Chicken Pizza step by step
- Preheat 1 Tablespoon oil in a large pan to high, add chicken to the pan in a single layer. Let it cook undisturbed for 3 or 4 minutes on one side. Then add salt and onion powder, redistribute chicken, ensuring that the uncooked side of each piece is touching the cooking surface, then cook another 4 or 5 minutes until all chicken is opaque and cooked through..
- Add 2 Tablespoons BBQ sauce and mix to incorporate. Turn off heat, let chicken cool, and preheat oven to 435F..
- Toss chopped cilantro and red onions with oil. (About 1 Tablespoon per each.) This will give your cilantro and red onions more of a roasted flavor than if you didn't toss them in oil..
- Lightly brush each pita/flatbread with oil and place them on a baking sheet or sheet pan..
- Spread 2 Tablespoons BBQ sauce on each pita/flatbread evenly..
- Top with mozzarella..
- Followed by the chicken divided in 6 equal portions. (I know there are only 5 here, but the Hubs had eaten one for breakfast. :P).
- Then top with onions. (As you can see, I LOVE onions. :D).
- Then cilantro. (As you can see, I also LOVE cilantro.).
- Then an optional additional sprinkling of mozzarella to hold the toppings in place once the cheese melts..
- Bake for 15 minutes, switching racks halfway to make sure each pan gets the same type and intensity of heat exposure. That's it! Enjoy. :).
It was an incredible week of hiking and exercising, learning more about health and fitness, and of course, eating delicious and healthy food! This recipe was one of my favorite lunches. And because this pizza is made on pita bread instead of dough, you can make an individual serving just for yourself or BBQ chicken pizza is pretty much my ultimate pizza WEAKNESS! Sooo um yeah I seriously cannot control my. One night, while eating BBQ chicken thighs and AIP flatbread, it struck me that I should combine the two and make an AIP version of BBQ The result was delicious, but the texture reminded me more of pizza than flatbread.