How to Cook Perfect New York Style Pizza Sauce
New York Style Pizza Sauce. A classic New York slice is as much a work of pizza art as are the finest pies of Italy. This recipe recreates the flavor of the tomato sauce on New York City's pizza perfectly. The result is a slightly sweet and aromatic sauce that's flavored with oregano, basil, garlic, onion, and red pepper flakes.
Be sure to remove the sauce from the fridge in advance of using it on a pizza, so that the sauce can come up to room temperature. Want to know the secret to New York-style pizza? This recipe makes it easy to replicate. You can cook New York Style Pizza Sauce using 10 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of New York Style Pizza Sauce
- Prepare 1 of 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes.
- It's 1 tbsp of olive oil, extra virgin.
- It's 1 tbsp of unsalted butter.
- You need 2 medium of cloves garlic, about 2 teaspoons, grated.
- It's 1 tsp of dried oregano.
- It's 1 pinch of red pepper flakes.
- It's 1 of kosher salt.
- Prepare 2 of sprigs fresh basil with leaves attached.
- You need 1 medium of onion, peeled and cut in half.
- It's 1 tsp of sugar.
Most often, New York-style pizza is hand-tossed, then covered in a light layer of tomato sauce and dry, grated, full-fat mozzarella cheese with additional toppings on top of the cheese. The crust of New York-style pizza is typically. Homemade pizza sauce is far superior to the jarred stuff. It's fresher, far tastier, and much easier to make than you'd expect.
New York Style Pizza Sauce instructions
- Process tomatoes and the juice in food processor until pureed, or with hand blender. Should be smooth, set aside..
- Combine butter and oil in a sauce pan over medium heat until melted. Add garlic, oregano, pepper flakes, and large pinch of salt and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant but not browned, about 3 minutes..
- Add tomatoes, basil sprigs, onion halves, and sugar. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to lowest setting and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced by 1/2, about an hour. Remove onion and basil, discard..
- Season to taste with salt. Allow to cool and store in covered container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks..
With only eight ingredients and a no-cook prep, this classic New York-style pizza sauce is truly perfect for a quick and easy dinner kind of night. This creates a slightly sweet, intense tomato sauce typical of New York-style slices. It's also good served with pasta. Recipe of New York Style Pizza Sauce. This is a no frills New York Pizza with heaps of mozzarella cheese and fresh basil.